James Galway's Colcannon
- 2 pounds white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch
- 2 bunches scallions (white parts only)
- 1 small green cabbage, cored
and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup heated milk or half-and-half
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, combine the potatoes with cold water to cover. Top with the scallions
and cabbage. Simmer, covered until potatoes are tender; drain well.
- Return the potato mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, mashing with a
potato masher until coarse.
- Add the milk and butter and mix well.
- Season with salt
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Source: Sir James Galway, the Irish virtuoso flute player from Belfast,
nicknamed "The Man With the Golden Flute."