Joan Lunden's Chicken Tortilla Soup
"This is absolutely one of my favorite recipes - it brings back great memories
of my college years in Mexico City. It is a delicious spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
that is quick, easy and great for an outdoor lunch or a light summer supper. I love to make my own tortilla chips for garnish, they are easy to make, low
in fat and delicious."
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 minced garlic cloves (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chiles, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped and with their
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup non-fat sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 store-bought corn tortillas, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in vegetable oil over low heat for
5 minutes until onion is softened.
- Add green chiles, Italian-style stewed
tomatoes and their juice, chicken broth, lemon
pepper, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, ground cumin and hot sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour with water and whisk into
soup. Bring the soup back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, salt and pepper to taste.
- Tortilla Chips: Lay
tortilla strips on a baking sheet with nonstick vegetable oil spray.
- Bake in a 400 degree F
oven for 10 minutes or until they are lightly toasted and crispy.
- Sprinkle lightly
with salt if desired.
- Garnish strips across the top of the finished soup with fresh