John Ritter's Favorite Fudge
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 to 4 heaping tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In large saucepan, combine sugar and cocoa and mix well. Add milk and stir until
mixture is smooth. Set over medium heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and boil
slowly, stirring occasionally to remove mixture from sides of pan. Continue to cook
until mixture reaches soft ball stage (238 degrees F) when tested with candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in butter and vanilla extract, then beat hard until mixture becomes very
thick and starts to lose its gloss.
- Pour into buttered 8- or 9-inch dish and chill
Makes about 2 1/2 pounds of fudge.