Justin Wilson's Hush Puppies
Justin Wilson says, "Hush puppy is an old Southern term that originated
after the Civil War. People didn't have enough for themselves to eat let alone
feed their dogs, so when the old hounds started barking from hunger, they would
throw pieces of fried corn bread to them, yelling, 'Shut up, dog! Hush puppy!'"
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Ground cayenne
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot bacon drippings or oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
- Deep fat for frying
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, onion, and oil or bacon drippings.
- Drop in deep hot fat by spoonsful and brown on all sides.