Kirk Douglas' Chicken in Dill Sauce
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped (instructions below)
- 1 frying chicken, cut
into 8 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green onions,
chopped, including white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1/2 cup
- 1 cup pareve sour cream substitute
- Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 2 minutes then plunge into cold water; skin
will peel off easily then chop tomatoes into chunks.
- To make chicken: Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Wipe chicken parts with damp paper towels; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, brown chicken in olive oil; season with salt
- During last 5 minutes of browning, add green onions; cook until
greens wilt and white stems turn golden; add tomatoes, dill and sherry. Cover and
bake for 1 hour, then remove chicken to a platter.
- Spoon sour cream substitute into pot; stir with juices from chicken; place pot
over low flame and put chicken back into the sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes. DO NOT
let the sauce boil or it will curdle.
Source: Chicago Sun-Times, in an article about Passover Memories. This recipe
was borrowed from the Celebrity Kosher Cookbook. Kirk Douglas was born
Issur Danielovitch Demsky, the son of poor Russian immigrants.