Lady Bird Johnson's Spoon Bread
Spoon bread was a favorite dish of Lyndon Johnson's mother, which she passed
on to his wife, Lady Bird. With a fruit salad or a green salad and meat, it makes
a perfect lunch.
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Butter (the size of a walnut)
- 3 level teaspoons baking powder
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- Stir cornmeal into 2 cups of milk and let mixture come to a boil, making a mush.
- Remove from heat and add balance of milk and well-beaten eggs.
- Stir in salt, baking powder and melted butter.
- Bake in 2-quart greased casserole for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.