Laura Bush's Baked Potato Soup
- 6 cups left over mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced, cooked and drained well*
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup chives, minced
- About 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 to 3 cups whipping cream, half-and-half or milk
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
* freeze bacon for easier cutting
- In a large soup pot, sauté onions and red pepper over medium heat in 2 tablespoons
butter until onions are clear.
- Add bacon, potatoes and whipping cream to desired
consistency. Skim milk or chicken stock may be used to reduce calories.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a garnish of a dollop of sour cream, grated cheese and chives.