Laura Bush's Mashed Potato Soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups whipping cream or milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Fresh chives, minced
- Sour cream
- In a large soup pot, sauté diced onions and red pepper over medium heat in 2
tablespoons butter until onions are clear.
- Add cooked crumbled bacon, leftover mashed potatoes and whipping cream or milk.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with garnishes of sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and chives.