Le Ann Rimes' Southern-Style Grits Bake
- 1 slice thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free
or 1% milk
- 2/3 cup quick cooking grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
or 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
or green onion tops
- Dice bacon; cook in a medium saucepan until crisp. Transfer bacon with slotted
spoon to paper towel; set aside.
- Cook onion in drippings over medium heat in saucepan 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add milk, grits and salt; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes
or until think, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in syrup. Place egg substitute in a medium bowl. Gradually
stir small amount of grits mixture into eggs; then stir the egg mixture back into
remaining grits mixture. Pour into 1-quart soufflé or round baking dish sprayed
with cooking spray.
- Bake in 375 degree F oven 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and center is set.
- Sprinkle with reserved bacon and chives.
- Serve warm.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition facts per serving with egg substitute and fat-free milk: 220 cal.,
2 g fat. Daily calcium value: 40% calcium