Loretta Lynn's Chicken and Dumplins
For the chicken
- 1 large fat hen, skinned
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt and pepper
For the dumplins
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 to 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, optional
- In a large pot boil the hen with the garlic in water for two hours. Add
additional water as needed.
- Drain the hen, reserving the broth. Cut into pieces and discard the
- For the dumplings, in a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
Gradually add the water. Stir in the egg. Knead the dough thoroughly and
roll out onto a floured surface.
- Cut the dough into strips. Bring the chicken broth to a boil and drop
the dough into the boiling broth. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and chicken pieces and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken, if needed.*
* Dissolve cornstarch in small amount of cold water before adding to hot
Nutritional analysis per serving: 344 calories, 31 grams protein, 36
grams carbohydrate, 1 grams fiber, 7 grams fat, 86 milligrams cholesterol, 1,192