Martha Washington's Crab Soup
Yes, the REAL Martha Washington. This was a favorite of Roosevelt and Eisenhower,
among others, at the White House.
- 1/2 pound fresh crab meat (or 1 cup canned or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3 hard boiled eggs, mashed
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sherry
- Dash Worcestershire
- Boil crabs in salted water to get meat (if using fresh).
- In a large saucepan,
combine butter, flour, eggs, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Boil on low heat and pour
milk in slowly.
- Add crabmeat to milk mixture and gently cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cream and remove from heat before it reaches a full boil. Add sherry and
Posted by artsycook at recipegoldmine.com May 17, 2001.