Banana Meringue Pudding
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups milk
- 8 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups vanilla wafers
- 4 ripe bananas, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir until blended. Mix in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and boiling. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, then whisk in 1/2 cup of hot custard until blended. Pour yolk mixture back into saucepan of custard; cook over medium heat, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Stir in butter and vanilla extract until blended.
- Place vanilla wafers on bottom of a shallow 2 quart casserole dish. Top with layer of banana slices and custard. Repeat layering, ending with custard.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar at low speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar; increase speed to medium and gradually beat in remaining sugar. Beat until egg whites hold stiff peaks.
- Spoon meringue over hot custard immediately, making sure that meringue touches baking dish on all sides (to prevent it from shrinking).
- Transfer to oven and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 1 hour.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Shared by Cara with recipegoldmine.com