Merle Haggard's Rainbow Stew
- 1 pound kielbasa or chorizo or andouille sausages, cut
into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless
chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped purple onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cubed jicama
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro , if you like
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon summer savory, crumbled
- 5 teaspoons ground red chile pepper,
if available (or substitute chili powder, salt, black pepper,
and red pepper sauce to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Brown sausage in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat in Dutch oven. Remove
and set aside.
- Add chicken to pan and cook until golden; remove and drain pan; return meat to
pan and add liquid. Cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, put remaining oil and flour in a skillet over medium heat; cook briefly,
stirring constantly; add vegetables and parsley and cook 10 minutes.
- Combine vegetable mixture with kidney beans and spices with the meat in the Dutch
oven; bring to a boil; simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper and red pepper sauce.
- Add green onions and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.