Meryl Streep's Heart Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup almonds, finely ground
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4
cups all-purpose flour
- Jam or preserves for filling (optional)
- In large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, cream butter, honey and vanilla extract.
Add almonds and flours, and mix until well blended.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces;
wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. On lightly floured waxed paper, roll 1 piece dough
1/8 inch thick. With 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into hearts; transfer
to cookie sheet.
- Wrap and refrigerate trimmings.
- If filling cookies with jam, make
a shallow thumbprint in center of each cookie, then spoon a dab of jam into each
- Bake cookies for 12 to 14 minutes or until browned at edges.
- Let cookies remain on
cookie sheet 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with
remaining dough and trimmings.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.