Natalie Wood's Eggs Ranchero
- 4 tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large clove garlic, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 small serrano or other chile pepper, chopped or
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped or
1 cup canned tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Fry tortillas quickly in hot oil; drain on paper towel.
- Keep oil hot; add garlic, marjoram, chopped chili, tomatoes, salt and pepper
to taste. Simmer tomato mixture for a few minutes until flavors are well blended
and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Fry eggs in a small amount of butter in separate pan, or poach in the hot tomato
- To serve, place one egg on each tortilla, cover with sauce.
- Serve at once.
If desired, eggs can be made into an omelet, wrapped with tortillas and topped
with tomato sauce.
Avocado or chorizo are often served with this hearty dish.