Pat Nixon's Apricot Nut Bread
This recipe comes from Mrs. Richard M. Nixon, former First Lady, sent to the
ladies of Most Precious Blood Parish, Corpus Christi, Texas, when she was still
- 1/2 cups dried apricots, diced, soaked, drained and ground
- 1 egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice, strained
- 1/4 cup water
cup walnut pieces, broken
- Beat egg. Stir in sugar and butter; mix well.
- Sift flour with baking powder,
baking soda and salt. Add alternately with orange juice and water to the sugar mixture.
- Add apricots and nuts; mix well.
- Bake in loaf pan at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours or until firm when tested.