Pat O'Brien's Favorite Irish Brown Bread
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- About 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Mix together all the dry ingredients; add enough buttermilk to form a soft dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured board; knead lightly. Form dough into a circle; place
in greased 9-inch baking pan or on greased baking sheet. The dough should be about
1 1/2 to 2 inches high. Cut a cross 1/2 inch deep over the top with a floured knife.
This helps bread cook more evenly.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree F oven for 40 minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow
when rapped lightly on the base with the knuckles.
- Remove bread from pan; cool on a wire cake rack. Bread should not be cut until it firms up.
- Toast it for breakfast or tea; spread lavishly with butter.
Source: Eloise O'Brien (his wife)
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Celebrity Recipes