Peggy Goldwater's Arizona Ranch Style Beans
- 2 pounds dry pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (4
ounce) can taco sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can roasted green chiles
- 1 (16 ounce) can
- Soak beans overnight or bring to boil, turn off, let stand 1 hour.
- Drain, cover
with water, add salt and boil for about an hour adding water to cover as needed.
- Add onion, garlic, black pepper, cumin, taco sauce, chiles and tomatoes. Cook over
reduced heat until beans are tender, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
A delicious chili con carne may be made by the additions of 2 pounds coarsely
ground beef or turkey, sautéed in vegetable oil with a chopped onion until brown.
Add to beans after first hour of cooking.
Source: Peggy Goldwater, wife of former Senator Barry Goldwater