President Ronald Reagan's Hamburger Soup
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 ounces canned hominy
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 quarts (12 cup) beef broth or water with bouillon cubes
- 16 ounces chopped tomato (canned or fresh)
- 2 cups sliced celery
- Brown meat in butter in 6-quart saucepan.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery
and green pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes with the pan covered.
- Add beef broth or water with bouillon cubes. Add chopped tomato and pepper. Simmer
soup on low heat for 35 minutes.
- Add hominy. Boil hamburger soup for 10 minutes more.
Makes 4 quarts.
Source: PR Newswire, March 11, 1986