Richard Simmons' Royal Trifle
- 3 cups 1% milk, divided 750 mL
- 1/4 cup granulated
sugar 50 mL
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch 25 mL
- 2 tablespoons flour 25 mL
- 1/8 teaspoon salt 0.5 mL
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon margarine 15 mL
- 2 teaspoons
vanilla extract 10 mL
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 125
- 3 tablespoons water 50 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon
almond extract 1 mL
- 2/3 cup cake flour 150 mL
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 5
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 mL
- 1/2 cup cherry jam 125 mL
- 1 cup each fresh
strawberries and and pitted sweet cherries 250 mL
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted 25 mL
- Nondairy, whipped topping
- Custard: In saucepan, heat 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) milk until scalding.
- In bowl, mix together sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt; whisk in egg and remaining
1/2 cup (125 mL) cold milk.
- Gradually whisk in hot milk and return to saucepan.
Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, then remove from heat and stir in
margarine and vanilla extract; refrigerate.
- Sponge Cake: Line bottom of 13 x 9 inch (3.5 L) baking pan with wax paper. Lightly
coat paper with cooking spray.
- In bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick. Gradually beat in water, vanilla extract
and almond extract.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to
egg mixture, mixing until just blended.
- Pour evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake in 375
degree F (190 degree C) oven for 12 minutes, or until center of cake is springy
to touch. Cool 5 minutes.
- Dust tea towel with icing sugar and turn cake out onto towel. Carefully peel
- Roll up cake and towel together, lengthwise; cool completely.
- To assemble trifle: Unroll cake and spread with jam; roll up again and cut into
1/2 inch (1 cm) slices and arrange in serving bowl.
- Top cake slices with fruit and
- Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with fruit, toasted
almonds and topping.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 230 calories, 6 g protein, 4 g fat, 42 g carbohydrate