Rita Moreno's Chicken Fricassee
- 2 tablespoons achiote lard*
- 4 ounces cured ham, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt pork, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded, cut into quarters
- 2 ripe tomatoes, seeded
- 2 sweet chile peppers, seeded
- 12 green olives, pitted
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1/4 cup seeded raisins
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano, mashed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cleaned broiler-fryer chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) can petit pois (peas) or 1 1/2 (10 1/2 ounce) packages frozen peas
* Made by putting 6 or 7 annatto seeds in pork fat or corn oil, heating over
medium heat until fat turns deep orange. Discard seeds by draining fat through sieve.
- Heat achiote lard in a deep kettle; add ham and salt pork. Cook over high heat
5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add remaining ingredients except chicken and peas. Stir and mix well.
- Add chicken, heat to boiling; reduce heat to moderate, cover and cook 40 minutes,
or until chicken is tender.
- Uncover, add petit pois (drained) or frozen peas. Cook until peas are heated
through or tender.
- Serve with hot cooked white rice.