Rita Moreno's Chicken Fricassee
- 2 tablespoons achiote lard*
- 4 ounces cured ham, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt pork, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded, cut into quarters
- 2 ripe tomatoes, seeded
- 2 sweet chile peppers, seeded
- 12 green olives, pitted
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1/4 cup seeded raisins
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano, mashed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cleaned broiler-fryer chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) can petit pois (peas) or 1 1/2 (10 1/2 ounce) packages frozen peas
* Made by putting 6 or 7 annatto seeds in pork fat or corn oil, heating over
medium heat until fat turns deep orange. Discard seeds by draining fat through sieve.
- Heat achiote lard in a deep kettle; add ham and salt pork. Cook over high heat
5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add remaining ingredients except chicken and peas. Stir and mix well.
- Add chicken, heat to boiling; reduce heat to moderate, cover and cook 40 minutes,
or until chicken is tender.
- Uncover, add petit pois (drained) or frozen peas. Cook until peas are heated
through or tender.
- Serve with hot cooked white rice.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.