Robert Duvall's Mother's Crab Cakes
- 1 pound crab meat, jumbo, lump or back-fin*
- 2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small onion, grated
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard
- 18 Ritz crackers, crumbled
* The jumbo is best for large patties, but not good for tiny ones. The back-fin
is good for both.
- Combine all ingredients except the crackers. Add crackers crumbs in as close
to sauteing as possible so that they crab cakes don't get too moist from the
other ingredients. Form into patties the size of hamburger patties or hors d'ouvre-size,
depending on how they will be served.
- Sauté in frying pan over medium-to-high heat in butter, 10 minutes per side.
Make sure that it's crispy outside but moist and juicy inside.
The recipe makes enough for about six hamburger-size cakes or 15 to 18 hors d'ouvres.
A simple tartar sauce to accompany the crab cakes can be made by mixing mayonnaise,
grated onion and lemon juice.