Robin Leach's Rich and Expensive Chicken
- 1 (3 pound) fryer chicken, cut up
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cups Champagne,
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups canned (and drained)
or frozen baby peas
- 2 cups canned (and drained) or frozen baby carrots
- 1 (10
3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 pound small red potatoes, peeled
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and dry chicken. Place sliced onions in a small roasting pan. Add 1/3 cup
Champagne. Place chicken on top of onion-Champagne mixture.
- Scatter half of the basil, thyme, sage and pepper over chicken. Sprinkle with
- Cut butter into small pieces and scatter half of it over the chicken.
- Add another 1/3 cup Champagne. Add peas, carrots and the rest of the herbs. Top
with another 1/3 cup Champagne. Top with remaining butter pieces.
- Spread undiluted mushroom soup over all. Partially sink potatoes into the soup
and pour in remaining 2 cups Champagne. Cover pan.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hours.
- Uncover and bake until chicken and potatoes have browned, another 20 to 25 minutes.