Sarah Ferguson's Chocolate Chip Scones
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With a pastry
blender or a large fork, cut in the butter to make coarse crumbs. (Tip: Make sure
butter is well chilled to produce the flakiest texture.) Stir in the chocolate chips.
Mix in the orange juice to form a dough.
- Turn out the dough on a floured surface. Pat or roll into a 9-inch circle about
1/2-inch thick. With a 2 1/2-inch fluted biscuit cutter, cut out 12 scones, pushing
the dough scraps together for the last few, if necessary.
- Transfer the scones to
the baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
Makes 12 scones.
Each scone contains 168 calories; 4 points on the Weight Watchers 1-2-3 program.