Senator Barry Goldwater's Beans
- 2 pounds pinto beans
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 (4 ounce) can taco sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can roasted green chiles
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) can tomatoes
- 2 pounds ground beef, browned (optional)
- Soak the beans in cold water overnight.
- Wash beans, place in a kettle and add enough cold water to make the water level
2 inches higher than the top of the beans. Bring to boil and cook 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients (except beef). Reduce flame and cook 4 to 6 hours,
or more if desired.
- Add browned ground beef, if using.
Makes 24 servings.
Approximate values per serving: 258 calories, 9 g fat, 34 mg cholesterol,
18 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 347 mg sodium, 31 percent calories
Source: From numerous readers - The Arizona Republic Jan. 31, 2001