Sophia Loren's Pasta Sauce
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces
pancetta, diced very small
- 3 small onions, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 medium size
fresh or dried chile pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes, skinned, or 1 large
can small diced tomatoes
- 6 to 8 large fresh basil leaves, sliced very thin
- Salt to taste
- Freshly grated locatello or other good parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4
pounds bucatini pasta or other large pasta
- Heat oil and butter over medium heat and add pancetta and onions. When onions
are golden, add chile pepper, tomatoes, basil and a good pinch of salt.
- Cook for
15 minutes so flavors are nicely combined.
- While this simmers, cook the pasta and drain. Toss all together. Add cheese generously.