Sophia Loren's Spaghetti con Pomodoro Crudo
- 1 1/2 pounds spaghetti
- 2 pounds tomatoes, not quite ripe, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 medium red or Vidalia onions (or less), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted Sicilian green olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/4 cup minced Italian parsley
- 10 to 12 chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly grated Parmigiana cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta until just al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, place in a large
serving bowl the tomatoes, mozzarella, onions, olives, capers, parsley, oregano,
garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the oil over and toss gently.
- When pasta is ready, pour it into a colander and quickly rinse it under cold
water; drain well and add the warm spaghetti to the bowl. Toss to combine, remove
the garlic if desired, and serve.
- Pass the cheese at the table.
Yields 6 servings.