Thomas Jefferson's Jambalaya
President Jefferson requested this dish frequently.
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 pound ham or pork sausage
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups shrimp, peeled, cleaned and cooked
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cups tomatoes, skinned, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 cups long grained rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- Melt shortening in a large fry pan.
- Cut ham or pork into 1/2 inch cubes and add
to shortening, stir for 1 minute and add green pepper; cook for 5 minutes, stirring
- Stir in flour until smooth and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp, onion, tomatoes, garlic and parsley. Cook until it starts to boil,
stir in rice and 4 cups water, salt, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper; cover
tightly and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Posted by artsycook at recipegoldmine.com May 17, 2001.