Walt Disney's Chili and Beans
- 2 pounds dry pink (pinto) beans
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 pounds coarsely ground lean beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can solid-pack tomatoes
- Salt, to taste
- Optional seasonings for a more spicy chili: 1/8 teaspoon each coriander, turmeric, chile seeds, fennel, cloves, cinnamon, dry ginger or 1 small yellow Mexican chile pepper
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Wash and sort beans and soak overnight in cold water.
- Next morning, drain; add water to cover, 2 inches over beans. Add sliced onions
and simmer, covered, until tender, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepot and lightly brown garlic, celery and beef,
stirring. Add chili powder, paprika and thyme. Break up tomatoes with a spoon and
mix with meat mixture. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- When beans are tender, combine with meat, stirring gently. Taste and add salt,
as needed. Simmer 30 minutes longer.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Celebrity Recipes