Bread Machine Challah
The bread machine takes the guesswork out of making the bread dough, and you
get to shape this rich, traditional loaf.
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 3 1/4 cups Gold Medal Harvest King or Better for Bread™ bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- Measure carefully, placing all ingredients except egg yolk, cold water and
poppy seed in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select Dough/Manual cycle. Do not use Delay cycle.
- Remove dough from pan, using lightly floured hands. Cover and let rest 10
minutes on lightly floured surface.
- Grease large cookie sheet. Divide dough into thirds. Roll each third into
13-inch rope. Place ropes side by side; braid ropes gently and loosely, starting
at the middle. Pinch ends to seal; tuck ends under braid. Place on cookie sheet.
Cover and let rise in warm place about 45 minutes or until double. (Dough is
ready if indentation remains when touched.)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix egg yolk and cold water; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with poppy seed.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices)
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 175 (Calories from Fat 35 ); Total
Fat 4 g (Saturated Fat 2 g); Cholesterol 40 mg; Sodium 310 mg; Total Carbohydrate
31 g (Dietary Fiber 1 g); Protein 5 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2 %; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 2 %; Iron 10 %
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1/2 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Challah (pronounced KHAH-lah) is a traditional Jewish yeast bread served for
everyday as well as special occasions.
Do-Ahead Tip: Tuck this loaf in a resealable plastic freezer bag and freeze for
up to 2 months.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.