Chanukah Rice Fritters (Frittelle di Riso per Chanukah)
The frittelle can be rolled in sugar or sugar and cinnamon and eaten for dessert.
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark, seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon rind
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup olive or other vegetable oil
- Place rice in saucepan with the water and salt and bring to boil. Lower heat
to simmer, cover, and cook, without stirring, for 30 minutes, or until rice is well
done and quite dry.
- Remove from heat, and add raisins, nuts, and lemon rind, and stir.
- Cool for at least 1/2 hour and then add the eggs, mixing well.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan.
- Drop rice mixture into oil by the rounded tablespoonful. Fry for two to three minutes
on each side; frittelle should be golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.