Cornish Hens in Honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Cloves, saffron and salt, to taste
- 4 (1 to 1 1/2 pound) Rock Cornish game hens
- Water, as needed
- 1 cup honey
- Parsley and woodruff *, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and parsley. Cook and
stir 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is softened. Sir in raisins and spices. Season
game hens inside and out with onion mixture.
- Place game hens on rack in roasting pan. Roast in preheated 375 degree F oven
- Remove pan from oven. Pour enough water in bottom of pan to measure 1/2 inch.
Spread honey over game hens to coat.
- Return to oven; reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Roast 15 minutes or until hens
are tender and golden brown.
- Remove hens to heated serving platter and keep warm. Adjust thickness of pan
juices and correct seasoning as desired. Generously spoon over game hens.
- Garnish with parsley and woodruff, if desired.
* Also known as sweet woodruff, this herb is a ground cover native to Europe.
Woodruff is used as a flavoring in May wine, as well as used to season sausages,
candies and cooked dishes in Germany and Austria.