Fruity Pot Roast
- 1 (5 pound) chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (1 pound) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Wipe roast with damp paper towel. Trim excess fat from roast. Rub salt and pepper
into surface of roast.
- In hot shortening, in 6-quart Dutch oven, brown meat with carrot, onion, and
garlic over high heat, turning to brown on all sides - about 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour tomatoes over roast. Bake, covered, about 2 hours.
- Add prunes, apricots, and raisins to Dutch oven. Bake, covered, 1/2 hour or until
beef is tender.
- Remove roast and dried fruits to warm serving platter; keep warm.
- Pour pan drippings into 2-cup measure. Skim off and discard fat. Add water to
make 2 cups. Return to Dutch oven.
- In small bowl, stir flour with 1/2 cup cold water until smooth. Stir into pan
juices, bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer.