- 2 1/2 pounds sweet apples such as Rome, Baldwin or McIntosh,
cored and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups water or apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or frozen for up to six months.
- You can leave peels on if you are pureeing the apples in a food mill. Otherwise,
- Combine apples and water or cider in pan over low heat. Cook, stirring a couple
of times, until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain, reserving liquid. Pass through a food mill, adding cinnamon, sugar and
juice and from a third to a half cup of cooking liquid for a good consistency. Or
puree apples in processor.
- Serve with potato latkes.
Yield: 8 servings