Lentil and Barley Stew
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 2 1/2 cups peeled chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1/3 cup pearled barley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- In a large heavy saucepan heated over medium-high heat, add the butter and olive
oil and sauté onion until tender, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add celery
and cook until softened, 5 minutes longer.
- Add the tomatoes, water, lentils, barley, one-half teaspoon salt, one-fourth
teaspoon pepper and the rosemary. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat
25 minutes stirring occasionally, until the barley and lentils are almost tender.
- Add carrots and cook five minutes longer, or until the barley and lentils are
- Serve with small bowls of crumbled goat feta cheese and olives on the side.
Total time: 50 minutes | Servings: 4
Each serving: 286 calories; 9 grams protein; 35 grams carbohydrates; 10 grams
fiber; 13 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 15 mg cholesterol; 6 grams sugar; 321
This recipe is adapted from a 1971 edition of The New York Times Natural
Foods Cookbook by Jean Hewitt.