- 3 mild herrings
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
- 1 lemon, sliced or 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 peppercorns or scant 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Wash herrings, removing head, tail and fins. Soak in cold water to cover for
- Combine spices, lemon, bay leaves, peppercorns with water, vinegar and brown
sugar. Bring to boil, set aside to cool.
- Slice fish into 1-inch slices. Place in sterilized pickling jar. Add sliced onions
and cooled liquid to jar and cover. Shake to mix contents. Set in refrigerator for
2 to 3 days. Check occasionally to shake and push down onions. Bring up bottom pieces
of fish to get top pieces down into liquid.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Chanukah Recipes