- 1/4 cup water
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 apple peeled, cored and sliced
- Chicken or goose skin, 1-inch squares (optional)
- 1 pound chicken or goose fat, roughly cut
- Put all ingredients in a heavy pot with a cover over medium heat. As the water
boils, it will begin to render the fat. Leave the cover on until the sound of the
water boiling and crackling is done. Remove the cover and lower the heat to low.
- Drain the clear fat at the first sign of browning. This is the clearest portion
and is good as a spread for bread.
- Allow the remainder to cook on low heat. The onions will brown and should be
removed before they get too brown. The skin will get brown and almost crisp, and
the fat rendered may be darker in color.
- Save the darker fat, skin cracklings and onions for making chopped liver.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.