- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 pound pork shoulder, coarsely ground
- 1 pound beef round, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 pound beef chuck, coarsely ground
- 2 to 4 jalapeno chiles, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground hot red chile
- 2 tablespoons ground mild red chile
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin (comino)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- Fry bacon in a large, deep heavy pot over medium heat. When the bacon has rendered
most of its fat, remove the pieces with a slotted spoon, drain on paper toweling
- Add the onions and garlic to the bacon fat and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the pork and beef to the pot. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook over
medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is evenly browned.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the beans and the bacon. Bring to a
boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir in the beans and the bacon, and simmer for 1/2 hour longer.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.