Anasazi Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 pound Anasazi beans
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet potato or yam
- 3 ancho chiles
- 1 chipotle chile
- 1 New Mexican or other red chile
- Juice of 2 oranges
Cilantro Cabbage Salsa
- 1/4 head red cabbage
- Peel from 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chili: Bring the Anasazi beans and 6 cups of water to a boil. Reduce the heat and let them simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Coarsely chop the onion and garlic and add it to the beans. Stir in the spices. Peel and chop the sweet potato into 3/4-inch dice.
- Toast all the chiles in dry skillet until light spots appear. Remove stems and seeds; chop chiles into small pieces. Add to beans.
- After the beans have been cooking for an hour (and are tender), add the sweet potato dice. Add salt to taste.
- Add the orange juice and let the beans simmer for 20 more minutes or until all ingredients are cooked.
- Cilantro Cabbage Salsa: Shave the red cabbage into thin strips and toss with orange peel lime juice, cilantro and salt. Let marinate for at least 15 minutes before serving on top of the chili.