Authentic Texas Border Chili
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 large Bermuda onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 5 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (4 pound) beef shank, coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon lard, butter or bacon drippings
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 5 green bell peppers, chopped
- 5 fresh Serrano chiles, chopped
- 1 pound chorizo sausage or hot non-Italian sausage
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons ground hot red chile
- 4 tablespoons ground mild red chile
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- Puree the first four ingredients plus one clove of the garlic in a blender or food processor (using the steel blade). Scrape the mixture into a large heavy pot and add the beef.
- Melt the lard, butter, or bacon drippings in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions, bell peppers, serrano chiles, sausage, and the remaining garlic, and cook until the onions are translucent and the sausage is browned.
- Place the cumin seeds in a 300 degree F oven for a few minutes until lightly browned. Remove seeds from the oven and crush them with a mallet.
- Stir the vegetables into the beef and tomato mixture. Add the salt ground chile, cumin, and enough water or beer to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered for 4 to 6 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
Yield: 12 servings
>> CHILI RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.