Baked Chili with Cornmeal Crust
Enjoy chili with a nice piece of corn bread? Then you’ll love this Baked Chili with Cornmeal Crust! The
corn bread bakes on top of a slow oven-simmering chili.
Serve with a mixed-greens salad, red and green grapes and, for dessert, brownies.
Accompany with diced tomatoes, sour cream, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips,
and shredded lettuce for an all-out chili buffet!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Original Bisquick® mix
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups Progresso® diced tomatoes (from 28 ounce can), undrained*
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can Green Giant® whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup Original Bisquick® mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In 2-quart saucepan, cook beef and onion stirring frequently, until beef is brown and onion is tender; drain.
- Mix chili powder, 1 tablespoon Bisquick mix and the water; add to beef mixture.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn and salt. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Pour into ungreased square baking dish, 8 x 8 x 2 inches, or 2-quart casserole.
- Stir remaining ingredients until blended; pour over beef mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Prep: 10 min | Start to Finish: 1 hr | Yield: 8 servings
For 5 grams of fat and 235 calories per serving, substitute ground turkey breast
for the ground beef and use Bisquick Heart Smart® mix.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 265 (Calories from Fat 110 );
Total Fat 12 g (Saturated Fat 4 g); Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 650 mg; Total Carbohydrate
27 g (Dietary Fiber 3 g); Protein 15 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 12 %; Vitamin C 6 %; Calcium 6 %; Iron 14
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 2 Vegetable; 1 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Betty Crocker/© 2008 ®/TM General Mills
>> CHILI RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.