Beef Chili with Chipotle
Chiles and Cilantro
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 1/2 cups (or more) water
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Grated Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Additional chopped onion
- Sauté beef and 2 cups chopped onions in large Dutch oven over high heat until
beef is cooked through, stirring often and breaking up beef with back of spoon,
about 10 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and chipotle chiles; sauté for 3 minutes.
Mix in 2 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup cilantro. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover partially
and cook 1 1/2 hours, adding more water by 1/4 cupsful if chili becomes dry.
- Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to
simmer before continuing.)
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup cilantro into chili. Ladle chili into bowls.
- Serve, passing cheese, sour cream and additional chopped onion separately.
Source: Clark's Outpost Barbecue Restaurant,
Tioga, Texas, as found in Bon Appetit's July 1995 issue
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.