Beef Chili with Chipotle
Chiles and Cilantro
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 1/2 cups (or more) water
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Grated Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Additional chopped onion
- Sauté beef and 2 cups chopped onions in large Dutch oven over high heat until
beef is cooked through, stirring often and breaking up beef with back of spoon,
about 10 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and chipotle chiles; sauté for 3 minutes.
Mix in 2 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup cilantro. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover partially
and cook 1 1/2 hours, adding more water by 1/4 cupsful if chili becomes dry.
- Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to
simmer before continuing.)
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup cilantro into chili. Ladle chili into bowls.
- Serve, passing cheese, sour cream and additional chopped onion separately.
Source: Clark's Outpost Barbecue Restaurant,
Tioga, Texas, as found in Bon Appetit's July 1995 issue
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Chili Recipes