Cornbread is also an excellent accompaniment.
- 3 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® sirloin tip roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, diced green bell pepper, onion, sour cream or avocado slices
- Heat oil in large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season beef cubes with salt and pepper. Brown in two batches for 3 to 4 minutes per batch; set beef aside once browned.
- Add onions, garlic and peppers to pot. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes over medium heat. Return beef to pot and stir in cumin, oregano, chili powder, paprika and thyme. Cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add beer and scrape bottom of pot clean; bring to a boil and allow foam to subside, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste; stir well and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and green chiles; cook an additional hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with your choice of toppings.
Serves 8-10 (makes about 15 cups)
Nutritional information: Calories: 364 Fat: 14 g Saturated Fat: 4 g Cholesterol:
90 mg Carbohydrate: 23 g Dietary Fiber: 3 g Protein: 37 g Sodium: 693 mg Iron: 37%
of Daily Value
Recipe adapted from The Book of Spanish Cooking by Hilaire Walden
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Certified Angus Beef
>> CHILI RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.