- 3 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® sirloin tip roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, diced green bell pepper, onion, sour cream or avocado slices
- Heat oil in large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season beef cubes with
salt and pepper. Brown in two batches for 3 to 4 minutes per batch; set beef
aside once browned.
- Add onions, garlic and peppers to pot. Cook 3 to 5 minutes over medium heat.
Return beef to pot and stir in cumin, oregano, chili powder, paprika and thyme.
Cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add beer and scrape bottom of pot clean; bring to a boil
and allow foam to subside, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste; stir well and bring to a boil. Lower heat,
cover and simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and green chiles; cook an additional hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with your choice of toppings.
Serves 8-10 (makes about 15 cups)
Cornbread is also an excellent accompaniment.
Nutritional information: Calories: 364 Fat: 14 g Saturated Fat: 4 g Cholesterol:
90 mg Carbohydrate: 23 g Dietary Fiber: 3 g Protein: 37 g Sodium: 693 mg Iron: 37%
of Daily Value
Recipe adapted from The Book of Spanish Cooking by Hilaire Walden
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Certified Angus Beef
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Chili Recipes