Black Bean Chili
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced medium
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds frozen green chile peppers, defrosted and chopped
- 4 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 pounds black beans, washed, cooked and drained (reserve the cooking liquid)
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated, optional
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until it is hot. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red chili powder, coriander, cayenne pepper, paprika, dried oregano and cumin, and stir well.
- Add the green chile peppers, tomatoes, tomato juice and molasses and stir again. Cover the pot and bring the liquid to a simmer.
- In a food processor, puree one-third of the cooked black beans and a small amount of the reserved cooking liquid until a smooth liquid forms. (Add more cooking liquid as needed.)
- To the stockpot, add the pureed beans, the rest of the cooked beans, the cilantro and the salt and stir well. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes or until everything is hot.
- To serve, place 1/8 cup of Monterey jack cheese in the bottom of each of eight soup bowls. Pour the soup on top. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream.
Yield: 8 servings
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 11/30/2001 11:49 am.
Source: Santa Fe Lite & Spicy Recipes by Joan Stromquist
>> CHILI RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.