Black Bean Chili
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced medium
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds frozen green chile peppers, defrosted and chopped
- 4 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 pounds black beans, washed, cooked and drained (reserve the cooking liquid)
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated, optional
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until it is hot.
Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red chili powder, coriander, cayenne pepper, paprika, dried oregano
and cumin, and stir well.
- Add the green chile peppers, tomatoes, tomato juice and molasses and stir again.
Cover the pot and bring the liquid to a simmer.
- In a food processor, puree one-third of the cooked black beans and a small amount
of the reserved cooking liquid until a smooth liquid forms. (Add more cooking liquid
- To the stockpot, add the pureed beans, the rest of the cooked beans, the cilantro
and the salt and stir well. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes or until everything is
- To serve, place 1/8 cup of Monterey jack cheese in the bottom of each of eight
soup bowls. Pour the soup on top. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream.
Yield: 8 servings
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 11/30/2001 11:49 am.
Source: Santa Fe Lite & Spicy Recipes by Joan Stromquist
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.