Chicken Chili Verde
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Spike seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose, unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 1/2 cups (or two 11 ounce cans) diced chiles
- 1 (3 pound) can diced tomatoes,
- Heat oil in a nonreactive soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, stirring occasionally, about five minutes.
- Add flour to form a roux. Allow roux to cook for two minutes.
- Add broth and spices, whisk well. Turn heat to high; continue to whisk until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Reduce heat to low and add green chiles. Allow mixture to come back to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally, about an hour.
- Add tomatoes and chicken. Stir well and bring mixture back to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season as desired.
Yield: one gallon or 8 soup-size servings
>> CHILI RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.