Chili with Corn Dumplings
Here's an easy winter warm-me-up meal. The flavorful corn dumplings cook right on top of the simmering chili.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can Green Giant whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 1/3 cups Original Bisquick mix
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, if desired
- Cook beef and onion in Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until
beef is brown; drain. Reserve 1/2 cup of the corn.
- Stir remaining corn with liquid, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder and pepper
sauce into beef mixture. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix Bisquick mix and cornmeal. Stir in milk, cilantro and reserved 1/2 cup corn
just until moistened.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonsful onto simmering chili. Cook uncovered over
low heat for 10 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes longer or until dumplings are dry.
Yield: 6 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Drop dough by rounded tablespoonsful onto simmering
chili. Cook uncovered over low heat 15 minutes. Cover and cook 15 to 18 minutes
Vary the heat level in chili by adding more or less chili powder or red pepper
sauce. Also, try different brands of red pepper sauce because each has its own unique
flavor and “kick.”
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 490 (Calories from Fat 170); Total
Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 1 1/2g); Cholesterol 75mg; Sodium 970mg; Total
Carbohydrate 54g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 12g); Protein 27g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 10%; Iron 30%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Vegetable; 3 Medium-Fat
Meat; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 3 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: Betty Crocker 2008/TM General Mills