Chili Mole-Style with Pepper Jack
A spicy ground turkey chili and beans 'mole-style', made with just a hint of
unsweetened chocolate and served topped with shredded pepper Jack cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 1/4 ounces dry chili seasoning
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed
- 1 (10-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16-ounce)
can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- Hot pepper sauce
- 2 2/3 cups (11 ounces) Wisconsin Monterey Pepper
Jack Cheese, shredded
- In heavy 4-quart pot, heat olive. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 3 to 4
- Add turkey. Increase heat to medium high. Cook stirring, until turkey is
no longer pink.
- Mix in chili seasoning. Add tomatoes, broth and water and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans, sugar, vinegar, and chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts
and simmer additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season with hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Ladle chili into 8 bowls and top each with 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Pepper
Yield: 6 servings
Reprinted with permission from
Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.