Chili in a Polenta Crown
Basically polenta is a cornmeal mush, seasoned and shaped.
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheese, grated
- 1 recipe favorite chili
- Place about 3 cups milk in heavy saucepan. Add sugar and salt and heat to a boil.
DO NOT scorch milk and be careful not to boil milk over. Stir cornmeal into remaining
1 cup milk. When milk in pan is to a boil, stir cornmeal in. Stir and bring back
to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 10 minutes - stir frequently
to avoid scorching.
- Remove from heat, stir in 1 cup grated cheese and chiles. Place polenta in casserole
dish pressing mixture up the sides of dish to form a crown. If polenta is too soft
to stay on sides of dish allow it to cool further, as polenta cools it will stiffen
- Prepare favorite chili recipe or use the recipe below. Place chili in
polenta crown. Cover and heat until chili is hot and bubbly (about 30-45 minutes
at 350 degrees F or about 15 minutes on HIGH in microwave).
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cheese and garnish as desired (olives, peppers, chopped
fresh tomatoes, etc.).