Chili Verde with Lime Cilantro Cream
This hearty stew is delicious made with pork, beef, or chicken, your choice.
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 pounds boneless pork, beef, or chicken (fat removed, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (7
1/2 ounces) diced onions
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) coarsely chopped red peppers
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) coarsely chopped green peppers
- 1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) cleaned,
diced tomatillos (or 3/4 cup salsa verde)
- 2 cans (15 ounces
each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 tablespoon
diced jalapeño pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Cilantro for garnish
Lime Cilantro Cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons
chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest or 1/4 teaspoon lime oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili seasoning or ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
Black Bean and Pineapple Salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans,
rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (10 ounces) fresh diced pineapple
- 1/2 teaspoon chili
seasoning or ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To make the stew: Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and cumin in a shallow dish.
Dredge the meat cubes in the seasoned flour.
- Heat some of the oil in a heavy frying pan. Brown a few pieces of meat at
a time; if you crowd the pan, the meat won’t brown well. Remove the meat when
brown, and place in large stew pot or slow cooker.
- Brown the onions and peppers, using additional oil as needed. Place the
vegetables into the stew pot or slow cooker, along with the tomatillos, chicken
broth, diced tomatoes, and remaining seasonings. Bring to a simmer, and cook
for 1 to 2 hours, until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Season the stew to taste.
- To make the cream: Stir together the sour cream and remaining ingredients;
cover and chill for several hours.
- Black Bean and Pineapple Salsa: Toss all of the ingredients together, and
refrigerate until needed.
- Serve the stew over rice or in flour tortillas, topped with lime cilantro
sauce or shredded cheese.
- Serve black bean and pineapple salsa on the side.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings; about 3 cups salsa
Reprinted with permission from
King Arthur Flour.