- 4 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 4 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons Hershey's cocoa
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 to 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- In a 2-gallon kettle, combine water, undrained tomatoes and tomato juice. Begin
cooking over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, melt shortening; add beef and onion-tomato
- Add garlic, bay leaves, chili powder, cocoa, oregano, cumin, sugar, salt
and cayenne. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Add additional
water if chili gets too thick during cooking.
- About 30 minutes before chili is done, add cilantro.
- Mix flour with 1/3 cup water; add to chili. Continue to cook, stirring constantly,
until chili is thickened.
Yields 3 to 4 quarts.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.